Monday, July 17, 2006

Vegas Post #1

What a day! We landed in Las Vegas around 1pm local time. It was one of the smoothest landings I’ve ever witnessed in a plane. Fernando and I were delayed by an hour or so by the airline. The funny thing was that one man gave an announcement saying that the delay was due to mechanical troubles. Right after he finished, another man came on the loudspeaker and blamed the delay on air traffic control problems in Las Vegas. Make up your minds already, or at least coordinate your lies.

Fernando didn’t carry his luggage on; instead he decided to check it. That was another hour waiting for the bag. Instead of staying by the pickup area, we dashed upstairs to get our first Vegas beer. The sports bar we found was packed with people watching the final few penalty kicks at the end of the World Cup Finals Soccer match. We couldn’t get in, but the game quickly ended and we were able to sit down after the place emptied. Te service was great. We were served immediately and offered $2 shots with our beers. Here's how that question got answered...

We met cool guy from New Zealand and sat around drinking beers and shots for an hour or so. After that it was off on a suicide ride through the streets of Vegas with mike. Yeah, I know, I didn’t capitalize his name. He doesn’t deserve it. He was an ass everywhere we went.

Damn, this is taking forever.

First stop was Palace Station, where we checked in to our rooms and got settled for the evening. After a quick change of clothes we headed down to the Guadalajara bar, which is really just one of a million video poker bars in Vegas. We spent the better part of 3 hours drinking at the bar until hunger reared its ugly head. I demanded to be fed, so the 3 of us went over to the Broiler, a steak and seafood restaurant right next to the Oyster bar.

Fernando started off with his usual – two dozen raw oysters. We ordered a shitload of seafood. Calamari, shrimp, scallops, fried clams, and codfish – nothing survived. We ate and ate and ate. And drank.

To be continued….

No comments: